Saturday, June 13, 2015

Single Circle Event - Reaching Out to a Diverse Community

We didn't get a lot of people for this event, but I am still considering it a success. Once again I didn't brake the bank spending too much money on food.  It was just about 13$ for popcorn, water, paper cups, because I like to recycle, and juice.  It also took less time in the store, because I knew exactly what I was looking for. 

Two arrived, but only one other sang.  Bridge Over Troubled Water and Price Tag were two of the songs I chose to sing. Some of the other songs we also sang were, Simple Gift, Lean On Me, Now I Walk in Beauty and America the Beautiful.  While I do fine singing at home alone, at least in my imagination, I was presented with some challenges singing with someone else. I can't just stop and take a long breath anymore or sing my own made-up version of the song. We had to be for the most part in sync.

Like last time I believe I fell short with my marketing for this event.  I should have hung more fliers in the neighborhood.  I know I will improve. Someone also gave me a suggestion for adding more diversity to the group after I expressed an interest in being able to reach out to those whose first language may not be English.  They said, try reaching out to the immigration association.  I don't know what that is and why would I, but I will take the advice. 

There is a great mix of people in the Dorchester community including but not limited to Hispanic, Asian, English, Italian, Haitian, Black, African American, Italian and Irish.  I want to reach out to everyone.

2 comments: